June 4, 2010

Got Wood?

WE DO! And it is B-E-A-UTIFUL wood! Sunday night began the process of ripping up the very old brown/orange/green shag carpeting in most of the house to expose the wood floors beneath. Although we had an idea that there were hardwood floors everywhere under the carpet and that they were in pretty good condition (I had ripped up a little piece of the carpet - shhh...don't tell - during our very first walk-thru of the house to get a glimpse of the floor) we had no clue what was really in store for us. Would the floors need to be refinished -including sanding and staining? Would they need to be replaced if damaged beyond repair? Well, thankfully, the answer is NO to both questions as the hardwood we exposed is in almost PERFECT condition and only in need of a nice cleaning. AHHHH... makes the space so much lighter, brighter, bigger, prettier. I LOVE HARDWOOD FLOORS!

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the process of transformation!

Joey got some help from friends (thanks Danny!) and family (thanks Dad!). And I got to watch and help sweep up the mess (that's the wife's job).

Dining Room Carpet




Dining Room After



Living Room Before


Danny and Joey ripping out the carpeting in the Den and Living Room



Den After


Living Room/Den After





The 3 men who worked very hard on removing carpeting/tack strip/nails/staples from these floors to make them look so beautiful!!!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. WoW! That's amazing how well the place "lit" up when the carpet was ripped out! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, tearing up carpeting brings back so many memories. Have fun in your old house. The work never ends, but the payoff is so worth it. I wish I could get my hands on those retro orange chairs that were in your living room. What a fun project they would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, that sounds so like me (I would have also lifted up carpet to see if there were indeed hardwoods through out!) It looks beautiful! I love hardwoods, I want my next home to have no carpet!!!
    Can't wait to see it finished...let us know if you need some help--I love to paint!

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!!!! that is such an awesome transformation. =) I rip up carpet in my apt I got cement ......bah humbug lol =)

    ReplyDelete

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.