August 9, 2011

FP: Take 3

Well, it's been 8 months since I last broached the topic of our living room fireplace (see here). So, I guess it's time for an update on what will be part 3 of the fireplace redesign.

While I tend to love brick in a variety of colors and uses and would possibly even choose natural brick for a future fireplace, the more I live in our living room, the more I continue to not like the natural brick of our current fireplace.

Now, I've heard/read soooo many pros and cons on painting vs. not-painting brick fireplaces, but in the end, I have to go with my gut...er, my heart...which frowns at the dirty orangy-browns the brick is currently projecting into the room. So, we have (finally) decided to take the plunge and paint it!


Last night, Joey did some prepping of the space. He removed one of the trim pieces underneath the mantle to ensure no paint gets on the natural wood. You can see our hidden speaker and cable wires under here (shhhh)...


Joey also caulked down both the right and left side of the fireplace where the brick meets the trim and built-in bookcase. This will fill in the gaps where a paintbrush won't fit.


And that bright brass fireplace cover?


Well, it's been removed for now. I may try some DIY techniques to spruce it up before making a final decision on what will go back in front of the fireplace in the end. I also taped off the little bronze flu opener above the fireplace opening. I don't want paint on that either.


Last step was to tape some paper to the floor and tile to ensure no paint spills or splatters there either.



I'll admit that I'm nervous about this choice, but there's no turning back now. Wish us luck. This fireplace may not be the same tomorrow!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.