January 12, 2011

Pop Quiz: Your Organization Personality!

I LOVE to organize. And January is the perfect time of year to kick your organizational booty into high gear! And while searching around on the Better Homes and Gardens website the other day, I stumbled across this Organization Personality Quiz, and of course, I just had to take it!

Here are a few examples of the types of questions the quiz asks. I found that I checked circle #3 on most of the questions...

Question #1: When I return from vacation and am faced with a week's worth of mail, I...




As you can see, I selected the 3rd option: Take a day to unpack and settle in before sorting through it.

I'm definitely more concerned about getting my clothing/toiletries put back in place and laundry started before sorting through bills/mail. The home is my priority.



Question #6: When it comes to e-mail in my in-box, I...




I chose the 4th option on this question: Try to make sure my in-box is nearly empty when I leave on Fridays so I can relax over the weekend.

I am a "thrower away-er" when it comes to stuff around the house (just ask Joey). The same holds true for my email inbox. I "trash" most of my emails unless I really need to keep them around.



Question #7: When my friends are asked to describe me, they would probably use words such as...




I selected the answer "Detail-oriented and organized", but I was totally stumped on this question. I have NO idea how my friends would describe me... how would you answer this question about me?


And finally, the Result: SCHOOLTEACHER



I'm not surprised by this answer. I've been told multiple times "you should have been a teacher".

The results indicated that I am "orderly but not rigid". And my key traits are as follows:
  • Predictable and Reliable (predictable sounds so boring, but reliable is good)
  • Structured, but not afraid of spontaneity (definitely true)
  • A Rule-follower (also pretty true - although I can be a rebel every now and then)

After the quiz results were revealed, there was additional information you could read through that offered some practical strategies for organizing your home. Here are a few of the solutions I appreciated.

#1. Command Central
Avoid a jumbled mess of mail and school papers by setting up a message center and inbox for each family member. Use the area to corral artwork, homework assignments, forms, and magazines as soon as they enter the house. At each week's end, go through the contents of each box; discard old material and file away things you want to keep.




    #2. Think Thin
    Avoid deep drawers in favor of shallow ones. Deep drawers can quickly turn into dumping grounds but shallow drawers are super efficient, making it a cinch to store -- and find! -- board games, kids' art supplies, or reading materials.




    #3. Junk Drawer Strategy
    Set aside one drawer in your kitchen or office area as a junk drawer. Yes, that's right: Organization experts agree that you should have a dedicated place for all those odds and ends that otherwise wouldn't have a home. The only caveat: Make sure you go through the drawer (at least) once a year to clean out items you no longer need or that belong elsewhere.




    #4. Smart Closet
    Ditch the single-bar setup common in most closets for a configuration that fits your wardrobe. Carve out a slender hanging space for long clothing, add drawers for delicate items and jewelry, install shelves to corral shoes down low, and cap the whole system off with a single shelf to hold out-of-season or special-occasion gear. Still need more storage? Try lining bare walls with a slat-board system. Use the grooves to support hangers for purses or other accessories.




    So, what do you think? Helpful? Or not so much?


    Click HERE to get started on your quiz!




    Note: BHG's website may make you "log in" to get quiz results, but you can elect for them not to mail/email/send junk to you... I haven't received anything from them after adding my name and email. Pin It

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.