March 14, 2011

When In Rome...

Ever have a weekend that just doesn't seem to go exactly as planned? That's exactly what happened to me this weekend.

In my Friday post, I mentioned to you lovely readers that I had oodles of plans for the weekend, including sprucing up the house for spring and getting out to do a little shopping with my birthday cash.

Well, when I woke up Saturday morning with every intention of gettin' to work, the first thing I noticed was that I couldn't breathe through my nose. And I had pounding headache. And in spite getting plenty of sleep, I felt exhausted. Basically, I had a bad sinus infection.

So, all those weekend plans I made were destroyed. I kept telling myself during the day that after 1 more nap, surely I could gather enough energy to run to at least a couple of stores and poke around...but nope, it never happened. And besides, I don't think other happy shoppers would want to hear me sneeze-and-blow my way up and down the aisles. So, all in all, I spent about 75% of the weekend in bed. Boo.

Thankfully, I did run out to a few places Friday night right after work, and I walked away from that with a few necessities and a few treasures. More on the treasures later. For now, I want to talk about the "necessities". Well, at least what was a necessity to ME.

Remember our lovely closet makeover that I completed the other week? I mentioned at the time that I purchased (on Clearance) a bamboo roman shade from Lowe's to cover the window in the closet and give us a little privacy. It looks like this...



Well, since Joey hung that shade, I have fallen in love with it more and more. And I kept telling myself that I needed to go back to Lowe's and see if they had additional shades on clearance (and in the right sizes) that I could use on the other windows in our bedroom, which are currently covered by the $3.00 pull down shades we put up when we first moved into the house...


The 3 windows that run across the wall of our bedroom are each 24 inches wide. The windows are old and most standard-sized window coverings don't come in 24 inch widths. We had to buy these pull down shades in a larger size and have them cut at Lowe's (for free) to the size we actually needed.


So, I crossed my fingers that I could find these bamboo shades in the right size and made my way to Lowe's to find the blinds/shades that were still marked on clearance. I took stock of what was remaining (as the shelves were getting pretty empty). And I found the particular shade I wanted in a few different sizes: 4 shades at 23X72 inches, 2 shades at 27X72 inches, 4 shades at 31X72 inches, and 2 shades at 35X72 inches.

I grabbed 3 of the 4 shades that were 23X72 inches...


The exact shade I bought is labeled as a Privacy Matchstick Roman Shade in the color "Cocoa".


Joey hung them for me on Sunday. I love the change. You can't see through them (hence, privacy), but they don't make the room pitch black. A sparkle of light shines through them.


I mentioned above that technically the windows were 24 inches wide, but I bought shades that were 23 inches wide. This works out OK with our old-school windows because they have a white wood frame that trims around the upper and lower panes of glass - shrinking the actual width of the glass to about 23 inches. So, the shade still covers all of the glass leaving just a little bit of white frame showing on either side.


Joey screwed the shades directly into the upper frame of the window. One thing I do love about our old windows is that they are deep enough to hang shades completely inside the frame of the window. Some of the newer styles of houses/windows don't allow for this.


In addition to the 3 shades above, I also bought 1 of the 27X72 inch shades for the other closet window. So, now all 5 windows in the room have the same shades.


Did I mention I love the difference from the old to the new? I do! The dark brown color adds warmth. The bamboo (or "matchstick") material adds texture. And the white window trim really pops against the color.



Total Cost?

3 - 23X72 inch shades @ $11.98 each = $35.94
1 - 27X72 inch shade = $13.98
Total = $47.92

And if you include the shade already purchased for the other closet, the total is about $61.90 for all 5 windows! I'm stunned. Truly. Normally these shades are around $30 each. Other stores sell these for around $50-$60 EACH. This deal was a steal!

What d'ya think?

Now to find some pretty curtain panels to add some beauty/pattern/color to the window...

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I believe very strongly that when it comes to desire, when it comes to attraction, that things are never black and white, things are very much shades of grey. See the link below for more info.


    #shades
    www.ufgop.org


    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting story. I didn't find it boring to read. In fact, I really had a lot of fun reading your post. Thanks.

    Bob
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.