December 13, 2010

DIY: Christmas Wreath

This past week I decided to attempt making my own Christmas wreath to hang in our living room.

I have never put together anything like this before, but thought doing it DIY-style would be fun and would save some money in the process. So, I gave it a go!

I had several different items assorted on our dining room table to begin this project - including a grapevine wreath, some green wire, and wire cutters...



...and quite a few different green picks to somehow arrange on the wreath. All of these items can be purchased at places like Micheals or Hobby Lobby.



I placed several different picks on the wreath at different angles and decided to keep it simple with these 2 picks - pretty green pine boughs with some brown pine cones and dusted with white snow. I got them bent around the wreath from the bottom up - leaving the top part of the wreath exposed - and tied some wire around them and the wreath to keep it all together (I hope).



Once attaching the picks to the wreath, I took some gold ribbon and wrapped it around the bottom of the wreath to add a spark of color and cover a little gap between the picks. And then I took the same gold ribbon and looped it through a pretty glass ornament that I already owned. I wanted to hang the ornament from the center of the wreath.



The ribbon and ornament combo were just looped up over the top of the wreath. Then I tied a little knot at the top to hang it from a nail. There was actually a nail already centered in this door from the previous owner...



This is an up-close shot of the ornament. Since it's glass, it adds just a very subtle bling to the wreath.



This particular door leads from the little entry way at the front of our house into our living room. When the light is on in the entry, it shines through the door and the wreath...





I like the natural elements of this wreath. It fits the bungalow/craftsman style of our living room, and the green/brown color scheme coordinates with my living room colors perfectly.

All in all, the project only took me about 20-30 minutes. So, I thought it was worth the effort in the end.

So, what do you think? Does the wreath add a nice festive touch to this door? Or was my first attempt at DIY-ing a wreath a complete mess?

Hopefully, this is something I will get better at as time goes on and I get more practice, but for what it's worth, I like it! Pin It

2 comments:

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.