December 8, 2010

Stealing Ideas

Being the blog junkie that I am, I love to check out what kinds of Christmas-y ideas other bloggers are setting up in their homes and then steal - or, uh, borrow - their ideas!

While I don't usually copy exactly what others create, I am often inspired to re-create something similar - just using different colors or accessories or whatever.

So here is a shout out to my fellow bloggers and a few of the ideas that I really liked while visiting their sites...

Blog 1: Just A Girl

I thought this mantle was really pretty. Very natural looking. I love the softness of the white fluffy wreath and the very natural-looking bows of garland.

On either side of the wreath - those candle looking things - those are actually glass vases covered in sweater sleeves (she actually took old sweaters and cut the sleeves off and slipped them around the vases). This gives the vases a soft, natural look - with a little design from the sweater pattern. Clever, right?



Blog 2: Brooklyn Limestone

I love this glittery "banner" of cut-out letters for the divider between 2 rooms. The light from the chandelier behind it makes the letters glow. If I get some time in the next week or so, I might try something like this to hang between my living room and dining room.


Blog 3: Young House Love

I love how John and Sherry stacked wrapped "presents" on either end of the mantle - and then topped them with a little decorative item. They wrapped empty boxes (as opposed to using real presents) so that they can re-use these boxes in later years if they want to. And while I won't be using the same color scheme they used, I may consider getting some really pretty brown/red/green/gold paper and ribbon and wrapping my own boxes to stack in the living room or den.


Blog 4: Restored Style

I love this table-scape. The jug with the twigs 'n' red berries is beautiful. I love the glass hurricanes around the candlesticks along with the natural, wood-looking pillar candles. According to the blog, most of the items were purchased at Pier 1.

I just might have to go purchase me some glass hurricanes this weekend!



Blog 5: The Lettered Cottage

I love this mantle! The ornaments hanging from the ceiling - and reflecting in the mirror - are gorgeous. I also like the look of stocking variety - rather than the same stocking for everyone. And since this fireplace is not used to burn wood, I like the creativity of setting trunks/boxes/presents inside for interest.



So many creative ideas to steal from, eh?

Well, I am still in the process of decorating our home for the holiday season, but hopefully, I'll have some shots for ya in the next couple days! Stay tuned. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.